About Kirsten Maxwell
A Kerrville New Folk Finalist, 2016 and Most Wanted Artist at Falcon Ridge Folk Festival, 2017, Kirsten Maxwell's rise in the music scene is one to watch, Based out of Long Island, NY, this singer/songwriter has been making a name for herself in the Northeast and beyond. Described as "making love to the audience", Kirsten's stage presence is undeniably endearing. She released her debut album in 2015, and has since opened for Bill Staines, Michael Johnson, Slaid Cleaves, and Vance Gilbert. Kirsten successfully funded the recording of her sophomore release with the help of her fans on Kickstarter. Follow Kirsten Maxwell on social media to find out where she is headed next.
Based on Long Island, Kirsten Maxwell has made great strides since diving head first into her career. She first stepped onto the stage at age 5 at a small opera house in NYC. Kirsten would perform there up until High School where her focus shifted to musical theater. Simultaneously, she started learning guitar and writing her own songs. Kirsten graduated from College in 2014 with a degree in Creative Writing and the passion to pursue a career as a singer/songwriter full time.
Today, Kirsten is often compared to Joan Baez, Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell. “I never thought I’d ever hear a voice as angelic and mesmerizing as I did when I first started listening to Joan Baez some 50 years ago, but then I heard the voice, the songs and melodies of Kirsten Maxwell,” says Jon Stein, host of Hootenanny Café on WTBQ.
However, Kirsten’s appeal goes well-beyond her vocal abilities. She gives everything to her live performances and has been described as “making love to the audience”. Although her self-taught guitar chops are minimal, she plays with such delicacy and taste that the guitar seems to be extension of her body. Her delivery creates a level of intimacy that welcomes new audiences in like old friends. With a quick wit and commanding stage presence, Kirsten gives the impression of being more accomplished than her 24 years.
In April 2015, she independently released her debut album, Crimson. It has been met with great success and fans await her highly anticipated EP, to be released this Fall.
- Most Wanted Artist at Falcon Ridge Folk Festival 2017
- Kerrville New Folk Finalist 2016
- Winner of the South Florida Folk Festival Singer Songwriter Competition 2016
- Official Showcase Artist at the South East Regional Folk Alliance (SERFA) Conference 2016
- Official Showcase Artist at the South West Regional Folk Alliance (SWRFA) Conference 2016
- TriCentric Showcase Artist at the North East Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) Conference 2016
- First place in a contest sponsored by the Rhode Island Songwriters Association (RISA) 2015
- Suzie Wollenberg Folk DJ Showcase at the Northeast Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) Conference 2015
Rockwood Music Hall
The Bitter End
Rose Garden Coffeehouse
South Florida Folk Festival
Falcon Ridge Folk Festival
Kerrville Folk Festival
Philadelphia Folk Festival
Mudville Music Room
Circle of Friends Coffeehouse