About Kirsten Maxwell
Kirsten Maxwell is a Long Island based singer/songwriter. She started writing songs in High School and performing regularly at open mics and small gigs in College. Since then, Kirsten has committed to a life of music full-time. Without the help of label, agent, or manager, she has toured extensively in the U.S., released one album and recorded an EP, won a number of songwriting competitions and performed at festivals on the East Coast and in Texas. Her grassroots following doubled in the past year and the expected release of her new self-titled EP has her fans on the edge of their seats. In December, Kirsten opened for rock icon Melissa Etheridge. She has also shared stages with Bill Staines, Michael Johnson, Slaid Cleaves, Vance Gilbert, and Nicole Atkins.
Based on Long Island, Kirsten Maxwell has made great strides since diving head first into her career. She first stepped onto the stage at age 5 at a small opera house in NYC. Kirsten would perform there up until High School where her focus shifted to musical theater. Simultaneously, she started learning guitar and writing her own songs. Kirsten graduated from College in 2014 with a degree in Creative Writing and the passion to pursue a career as a singer/songwriter full time.
Today, Kirsten is often compared to Joan Baez, Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell. “I never thought I’d ever hear a voice as angelic and mesmerizing as I did when I first started listening to Joan Baez some 50 years ago, but then I heard the voice, the songs and melodies of Kirsten Maxwell,” says Jon Stein, host of Hootenanny Café on WTBQ.
However, Kirsten’s appeal goes well-beyond her vocal abilities. She gives everything to her live performances and has been described as “making love to the audience”. Although her self-taught guitar chops are minimal, she plays with such delicacy and taste that the guitar seems to be extension of her body. Her delivery creates a level of intimacy that welcomes new audiences in like old friends. With a quick wit and commanding stage presence, Kirsten gives the impression of being more accomplished than her 25 years.
In April 2015, she independently released her debut album, Crimson. It has been met with great success and fans await her highly anticipated EP, to be released this Spring.
- Most Wanted Artist at Falcon Ridge Folk Festival 2017
- Formal Showcase Artist at the North East Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) 2017
- Kerrville New Folk Finalist 2016
- Winner of the South Florida Folk Festival Singer Songwriter Competition 2016
- Official Showcase Artist at the South East Regional Folk Alliance (SERFA) Conference 2016
- Official Showcase Artist at the South West Regional Folk Alliance (SWRFA) Conference 2016
- TriCentric Showcase Artist at the North East Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) Conference 2016
- First place in a contest sponsored by the Rhode Island Songwriters Association (RISA) 2015
- Suzie Wollenberg Folk DJ Showcase at the Northeast Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) Conference 2015
Rockwood Music Hall
The Bitter End
Rose Garden Coffeehouse
South Florida Folk Festival
Falcon Ridge Folk Festival
Kerrville Folk Festival
Philadelphia Folk Festival
Mudville Music Room
Circle of Friends Coffeehouse